Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 38 - To Work or Not Work?

source : http://www.flickr.com/photos/moriza/65440151/

It's been a while since I've written in my journal and so far there has been tremendous changes in my life.

Today is already my 39th day in my 90-day journey towards 1 million and the direction of my life has already changed 180 degrees. 

First.

I am on the process of leaving my job. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?! That's the common reaction of my friends and some relatives. As I mentioned before, I work with San Miguel Corp. (SMC) as a sales manager. I received a hefty pay check, plus monthly commissions, good benefits, and a service car.

They say that SMC is a very stable company to work with, and it is really "good" for the longterm. In fact, I've known people who retired from SMC that were able to recieve 3-5 Million by being loyal employees. But the problem is that, they spent most of their lives, 25-30 years of working for the company.

So for me, I don't think that depending 30 plus years of my income into one source is a sound financial decision. But my reasons for leaving is not only based on a financial decision but more of a personal choice.

You see working in a corporate world is like being a Samurai using a double-edged sword. You are paid well but the monetary amount requires a much higher form of asset - TIME. The more you move up the corporate ladder, the more time you need to give to the company. And since we all have the same 24 hours a day, it takes a lot away from your "family-time", "business-time", and "personal-time".

Another big problem here is that you will tend to cling to the feeling that a job is equals to security. Instead of being open to other opportunities outside your job, you adapt the common life process of most baby boomers today. They work till 60 years old, save up for retirement, and then spend all their savings (retirement money) on medicines, hospitalization, and needs for their health.

Obviously, I don't want my life to end that way. Above all, I want to own my time. Owning my time will be very important in building my relationship with my family, so with my current job I don't think that would be possible.

Secondly, I believe that life's success is not measured by your achievements but who had the most fun. Fun for me is simply defined as love. We were created out of love so our sole purpose is to love. A lot of people relate love as something mushy but it is actually being able to do what you are meant to do.

So this is my prayer. That God will grant me the strength and the grace to finally cross the bridge of risk across the other side which is financial freedom. Giving up a safe and secure job is definitely a risk but beyond that is financial freedom.

I'll be seeing you at the finish line, to a million in 90 days.


Dedicated to you success,
Jake the Multi-Millionaire. 
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment